Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
-UE
go to http://webchat.esper.net/ , choose your username, type in #ducksoup, click connect for great IRCing
also, http://velguarder.zonexus.net/pipermail/ducksoup has the mailing list archives

Introducing Zest Online Riddle

edited 2014-05-17 12:13:07 in Puzzlers Chat

We may want to have a private section at some point to avoid cheaters/prying eyes, but I'll start by posting it here:

http://zestriddle.ovh.org

This is the riddle site I was talking about earlier this week. Prior to my participation in the Mystery Hunt and Duck Soup, I was into "online riddles" like the Tim Tang Test (Level 141 at the moment, though I do plan to get to 150 someday). Back in 2007-2008, one of the big ones I played was Zest, by a Polish photographer/puzzlemaker named Karol Liver. Given how the puzzlehunts encourage similar "out-of-the-box" thinking to the type needed to solve these riddles, I wanted to share at least this one with you all, and if you find it interesting, perhaps I can find some more. 

I picked this one to start because I've already completed the main 101 levels and I can provide adequate help on them should anyone need it. I don't want to take too much of the fun out of it though, so don't expect me to give the answers out ;)

What to expect

Like the TTT, this is a linear puzzle, where you have to solve one level to open up the next one. There is one main "trail" of 101 levels of varying difficulty, split into two portions: Ze?t (1-72) and Exodus (73-101). There are bonus levels sprinkled throughout if you poke around enough, but they aren't necessary to beat the main trail.

Unlike the TTT, this riddle has quite a bit of atmosphere going on. Almost every level has a bit of creepiness, and there's a nice bit of artistry I haven't seen in a lot of online riddles. In addition, Zest starts out a bit harsher than the TTT, and may have some bits that could be considered "illogical". I will try to help if this becomes a problem though.

General advice:

1) Read the "general hints" section to get an idea of how it works. The answers go in the URL, rather than in a password box.

2) Get your hands on an editing program like GIMP or Photoshop. Paint won't cut it on some of these levels, as some more advanced functions may be necessary.

3) Keep track of your answers/solving methods! This is very important, and it will come back to bite you later if you're not keeping decent notes. 

4) If you need more help, feel free to visit their IRC channel or forum--last I checked, someone ought to be manning the IRC channel. We can also discuss stuff on our team channel if you'd like. 

This doesn't have to be done in any particular timeframe, so I hope you enjoy the ride. 

Comments

• Does this riddle break in chrome?

Also, could you provide some help in Tim Tang Test? I've been stuck a while.

• mChrome should work fine for this, in fact, they recommend it over firefox in the hints. You may need quicktime for some of the music.

As for the TTT, feel free to shoot me a PM about it.