Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
-UE
go to http://webchat.esper.net/ , choose your username, type in #ducksoup, click connect for great IRCing
also, http://velguarder.zonexus.net/pipermail/ducksoup has the mailing list archives

[SOLVED: REALISTIC] [6] Abstract Art

edited 2014-06-03 04:45:15 in Puzzlers Chat

No idea. Top left looks like a telephone keypad, but what to do with it is eluding me.

Comments

• I think these are famous codes, but with the wrong numbers or letters or symbols in the place of what's supposed to be.

Top left: Dial spell
    Top Center:  ?
    Top Right Periodic Table?
    Middle left:  Sudoku?
    Dead center: ?
    Middle Right: Morse?
    Bottom Left: ASCII?
    Bottom center: Dominoes?
    Bottom Right: Braille? 

• I wonder, the symbols may be an indication of how often each section is used. Like each box represents a word, maybe.

Top center would be Morse, then.

• Hint: Who might you consult for inspiration?

The muses would I suppose. Fits the "amusing" bit in the flavortext too.

From Brittanica:

• Calliope: Muse of heroic or epic poetry (often holding a writing tablet).

• Clio: Muse of history (often holding a scroll).

• Erato: Muse of lyric and love poetry (often playing a lyre).

• Euterpe: Muse of music or flutes (often playing flutes).

• Melpomene: Muse of tragedy (often holding a tragic mask).

• Polymnia: Muse of sacred poetry or of the mimic art (often shown with a pensive look).

• Terpsichore: Muse of dancing and choral song (often shown dancing and holding a lyre).

• Thalia: Muse of comedy (often holding a comic mask).

• Urania: Muse of astronomy (often holding a globe).

• Oh! I think the upper right refers to Scrabble tiles and their point values. The upper left is a phone keypad, and I'd bet each one spells the names of the muses in some way.

• edited 2014-03-17 12:06:21

Top left: Dial spell

Calliope-Clio-Erato, Terpsichore-Euterpe-Urania [R], Polyhymnia-Melpomene-Thalia

Top Center:  ?

Urania, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Terpsichore, Euterpe, Thalia, Clio, Erato

Top Right: # of letters with that value in Scrabble

Urania, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Terpsichore, Euterpe, Thalia, Clio  Erato [A]

Middle left: # of flags when name written in semaphore?

Clio-Calliope-Erato, Terpsichore-Euterpe-Urania, Melpomene[L]-Polyhymnia-Thalia

Dead center: ?

Middle Right: # of letters on each row of a QWERTY keyboard

Urania-Melpomene-Erato,Polyhymnia-Calliope-Terpsichore ,Euterpe-Thalia-Clio

Bottom Left: ASCII?

Urania, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Terpsichore, Euterpe, Thalia, Clio, Erato

Bottom center: Dominoes?

Bottom Right: Braille? 

Calliope-?-Terpsichore-Erato,?-?-?-? Clio [C]

Urania, Melpomene, Polyhymnia Euterpe, Thalia,

R?ALS??C

REALISTIC would work, and it's in fact the correct answer.