Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
-UE
go to http://webchat.esper.net/ , choose your username, type in #ducksoup, click connect for great IRCing
also, http://velguarder.zonexus.net/pipermail/ducksoup has the mailing list archives

March 2014 issue: I may not know puzzles but I know what I like

edited 2014-06-03 04:43:26 in Puzzlers Chat

Newest issue of Panda Magazine is available here. I've only had a chance to take a cursory glance over it, and I need to run some errands right now. Happy hunting.

Comments

• edited 2014-03-09 20:17:32

It looks like the dots don't coorespond to puzzle answers but are actually related to the drawings they accompany

• edited 2014-03-12 03:48:34

________ AIR POLLUTION? CARPET?

TURNKEY  MANDLEBROT  _______

WAYNE GRETSKY ESCARGOT   LOGARITHM

HEARTS  CLARINET    ACROSTIC

________                      PARTHENON

• A note: All of the words you've gotten have the letters A-R-T in that order. 14 Answers, and 14 items.

• Except for TURNKEY, which probably means that's wrong.

• I think our goal is to pair our answers with pictures and extract the ART from them.

• edited 2014-03-17 23:00:20

That's a good suggestion arks. The question is, how do we pair up the answers and titles? By length?

HANDWRITING (11)LME/UUD           AIR POLLUTION? (12) CYA/APE               CARPET (6) OLN/NAY

HAIRCUT (7) WNE                           MANDLEBROT (10) OXR/RUT                             _______ (11)

WAYNE GRETSKY (12) RGR/LUE  ESCARGOT  (8) CAS/GOD/UEA                 LOGARITHM (9) LIT/JAN

HEARTS  (6) LUM/AZZ        CLARINET   (8) QUA/GGD/NCS        ACROSTIC (8) DGN/PNK/TQR

LABYRINTHS     (10) OYX/REU                                                                  PARTHENON (9) EAL/LEJ

Answers:

CRYPTOGRAPHY (12) RGR CYA

ALPHANUMERIC (12) APE LUE

TWINKIE (7) WNE

ALEJANDRO (9) JAN LEJ

ILL TEMPERED (11)  

REALISTIC (9)  EAL LIT 

BOBBY SOXER (10) OXR

DOGGONED (8) DGN GOD GGD

PANCAKES (8) CAS PNK NCS

TAQUERIA (8) QUA TQR UEA

GRAPEFRUIT (10) REU 

SURROUNDING (11) 

SNAZZY (6) NAY AZZ 

COLUMN (6) LUM OLN

• I'd say by length. That should get specific letters to index to.

• I've started doing that in my post above, but it still feels like there should be a way to match the titles and clues that we're missing. I've arranged the three 8 clues and titles because they may make the word SQUARE or something like it, but feel free to correct it if you see another pattern.

• edited 2014-03-17 23:20:47

Big thanks to tre for getting the other puzzle answers, and to arks for updating the answer list above.

I still see SQUARE toward the bottom if I pick some triplets and put them in answer order, but the rest don't seem to be giving anything that looks like an answer phrase. We have to be missing something besides the length to tie the answers and pictures together. 

Looking at them again though, it seems like several of them could form colors if you added a letter to them...

CRYPTOGRAPHY (12)  CYA+N=CYAN

ALPHANUMERIC (12)  LUE+B=BLUE

TWINKIE (7) WNE+I=WINE?

ALEJANDRO (9) JAN+E=JEAN?

ILL TEMPERED (11)  LME+I=LIME

REALISTIC (9)  EAL+T=TEAL 

BOBBY SOXER (10) OYX+N=ONYX

DOGGONED (8) GOD+L=GOLD 

PANCAKES (8) PNK+I=PINK 

TAQUERIA (8) QUA+A=AQUA 

GRAPEFRUIT (10) RUT+S=RUST 

SURROUNDING (11) ?

SNAZZY (6) NAY+V=NAVY

COLUMN (6) LUM+P=PLUM 

In painting order: INVIS-BLEPAINT

His parents sent him INVISIBLE PAINT. A win-win situation if you ask me!