Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
-UE
go to http://webchat.esper.net/ , choose your username, type in #ducksoup, click connect for great IRCing
also, http://velguarder.zonexus.net/pipermail/ducksoup has the mailing list archives

Random puzzle-like thoughts on things

edited 2015-11-04 16:53:13 in Puzzlers Chat

I come up with crazy ideas that could potentially become puzzles every so often.  If you do too, cool.

Post them here.

At the moment, I just noticed that VIABLE + Argon (Ar) = VARIABLE.  I presume there's a lot more element symbols that can be inserted into other words to create yet other words.

Comments

• A hilarious source of an odd but specific instance of coding various phrases using certain other phrases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPuOFrpiboM

Full phrase list here: http://sonneokaku.deviantart.com/journal/no-title-available-301679767
  • An exercise given to me when I was in elementary school was as follows:

Hidden space words:

moon
    star
    Earth
    Mars
    [etc.]

1. Will you start the car?
    2. The cow said moo n near the bridge.
    3. Hear the bell ring.
    4. Marshmallows are delicious.

And the task was of course to find the hidden words, which I underlined for clarity.

Pretty sure hidden words have been done before (I remember seeing them).

But what about making each sentence containing a hidden word also a question that has a specific answer?

For example:

Unlike monarchy, where a leader holds power at least in part, yet stands aside from his people, this form of governance considers the citizens to have popular sovereignty (adjective)

The answer to this prompt is "REPUBLICAN", and the prompt also contains the hidden word "PARTY", thus the entire phrase clued is REPUBLICAN PARTY.
  • At the moment, I just noticed that VIABLE + Argon (Ar) = VARIABLE.  I
    presume there's a lot more element symbols that can be inserted into
    other words to create yet other words.

OS (osmium) + PREY = OSPREY
  • At the moment, I just noticed that VIABLE + Argon (Ar) = VARIABLE.  I
    presume there's a lot more element symbols that can be inserted into
    other words to create yet other words.

OS (osmium) + PREY = OSPREY

It's really hard to come up with these.

Especially for elements with names that are two vowels or two consonants.

CONCOCT => CONCT?
    well I guess going from CON(CO)CT to CONCH could make for a T=>H swap.

this one just produces a mess: CA(TC)ALL => CAALL (additional A is the best thing to come of this)

re-whatever (e.g. (RE)PROCESS) is an easy one as is co-whatever (e.g. (CO)OPT) but those are the low-hanging fruits

other imperfect ones:
    GUL(L) => GUL(AG)
    TEEN(AG)E => TEEN(E)

Oh!  I found one!

DEVO(LU)TION => DEVOTION

• edited 2016-03-03 19:12:10
    AIL can be combined with P, S, F, N, B, H, V, FR in front.  It's relatively non-specific, and that's probably the case with shorter possibilities.

that said:

D(ER)ANGED => DANGED
    "danged" is an unusual spelling of an expletive, though.
    D(ER)IVE => DIVE would probably be a better way to get Erbium.

REY is "king" in Spanish, but could be used with lanthanum to get RELAY.

RE(AP)ED => REED is a valid one except Ap is not an element abbreviation.
    RE(IN)ED => REED works fully.

(SN)APE => APE depends on a proper name (Snape) but otherwise works.

ABOR(TI)ON can be used amusingly to create A BORON, but that might be too much of a red herring.

BE(AR)ING => BEING yields Argon again but we already came up with one for that.

F(ER)RET => FRET also yields Erbium again.

(TA)RIFF => RIFF produces Tantalum.

Meanwhile, if you want to spell things with element abbreviations and extra letters, there's always CA+TC+AL+L.

(CR)ATE => Chromium + ATE
    (FE)AT => Iron + AT

There's a department here that's the School of Physics, Astronomy, and Computer Science, which is SPACS.  That could be SPA(CS) for Cesium.

(CU)RATION.
    Slightly off for this one would be EXE(CU)TION => EXE(R)TION.

A(XE)L => AL, but this one doesn't seem that great.

DOVABLE and MOABLE don't work, for DOABLE and MOVABLE respectively.
    But you can change a DO(V)E into a DOE to get Vanadium.
    And you can change a BO(O)B into a BOB to get Oxygen.

RAN(GE) => RAN + Germanium

Unfortunately, ST(AT)IC doesn't like to become STIC(K), but both of those have "extra" letters that are also elements.  These shorter words tend to be easier to use though since STI(C)K could be changed to STI(N)K.

(CL)ICK and (CL)EAR and (CL)ASH
    and incidentally also (CR)ASH

(RH)ODESIA => ODES(S)A?
  • A good bet may actually be to try to use the first 26 elements, because alphanumerics.
  • edited 2016-03-09 21:22:09
    Meanwhile, this thread: https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11211/list-of-bad-anime-characters/p1
    ...inspired an idea.

What about making lists of characters (or other whatever) wherein the only commonality is a specific letter, and the puzzle is to find that letter, and then take the nth position of that letter that also occurs only once in the category name

For example:

worst anime characters

Elliot Stabler
    John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    Starfire
    Mickey Mouse
    [etc.]

And their commonality is the letter i (note that the entries are completely irrelevant/unapplicable), so we read the category name's position for the letter i, which is position 8, so the actual letter clued is H.

Seems like a rather arcane series of steps to do, so this would need to be clued.  For example, the flavortext could be "They're all wrong!  They don't even have anything in common!"

Just for clarity's or simplicity's sake, you could limit this to common vowels, by adding one more line of flavortext:

"They're all wrong!  They don't even have anything in common!"
    "But they all sound the same!"

• Some interesting pairs from the first 30 2-letter element symbols.

HE: BE(HE)AD
    LI: RE(LI)GION, OB(LI)VIOUS, SUPP(LI)ER
    BE: TI(BE)TAN
    NE: BE(NE)FIT, VE(NE)ER, FOREWAR(NE)D, PAI(NE)D, FASTE(NE)R
    NA: TE(NA)NT, TERMI(NA)TE
    MG: No real solutions. I guess O(MG) could work, sort of.
    AL: T(AL)ENT (hey, another tent.), S(AL)LOW, RE(AL)LY, FIRE (AL)ARM (if you like phrases.), 
    SI: DERI(SI)VE (to get another element from DERIVE... maybe we can make chains of these. who knows.) , DEPO(SI)T, RE(SI)ST, CO(SI)NE (three element symbols!)
    CL: MUS(CL)E, PARTI(CL)ES
    AR: PREC(AR)IOUS, PROPRIET(AR)Y
    CA: MA(CA)ROON, LO(CA)TION, FORE(CA)ST
    SC: MU(SC)LE, PI(SC)ES, O(SC)AR
    TI: GRAPHI(TI)C, IN(TI)MATE, MO(TI)VE, PU(TI)N
    CR: IN(CR)EDIBLE, S(CR)EAM
    MN: SOLE(MN)
    FE: DE(FE)NSE, INTER(FE)RING, BAR(FE)D
    CO: BEA(CO)N, MAS(CO)T, IN(CO)HERENT, RE(CO)NDITION, SE(CO)ND (three more element symbols!), (CO)OPERATIVE, PRE(CO)CIOUS (see precarious)
    NI: MO(NI)TOR, ME(NI)AL, DE(NI)AL, CA(NI)NE (three more element symbols), RUI(NI)NG, ORGA(NI)SM (sorry)
    CU: A(CU)MEN, MER(CU)RY, MAR(CU)S [name to planet, planet to name], CAL(CU)LABLE, DIS(CU)S
    ZN: yeah not going to happen